Time flies when you’re having fun: episode 5 already! I feel like this week really had me feeling a lot more comfortable in front of the camera. There’s a lot of random chatter and quite some yarn shopping. As well as finished objects, designer chatter and works in progress.
Where to find me?
- Instagram: renee_kies.
- Ravelry: Alazybeauty.
- Youtube channel: The Lazy Knitter
- My designs: Renée Kies
- Molly weasley blanket: no real pattern, knit using fingering weight yarn scraps and minis. Knit on 2.75 mm needles (US 2).
- Jumping stones dishcloth: own design. Action Made by me Multi. 100% cotton yarn (fingering weight). Knit on 3.00 mm (US2.5) needles.
- Exploding lines dishcloth: own design. Action Made by me Multi. 100% cotton yarn (fingering weight). Knit on 3.00 mm (US2.5) needles.
- Blocked waves: own design. main yarn is G-B Wolle sprint in 685 (grey). CC1: Opal for Ladies & Gentlemen in Lebendig. CC2: Rico design Superba 100 Klassik 4-fädig in 103. CC3: ONline Linie 3 Supersocke 100 in 61. CC4: Drops Fabel in 111. Knit on 2.5 mm needles (US 1.5).
Works in progress
- Vanilla socks: No specific pattern. Will do a traditional afterthought heel. Yarn is Regia by Arne & Carlos in colorway Star night (3653). Knit on 2.5 mm needles (US 1.5).
- Fox paws cowl: pattern is fox paws by Xandy Peters (paid pattern). Yarn is Artesano Alpaca Silk 4 ply in Fawn, Robins egg, Violet Blue, and Signal blue. Modified by starting with a provisional cast on. Will finish by grafting ends together to create a cowl. Also only using 4 colors and will keep the same order of colors throughout. Knit on 3.5 mm (US 4).
- Woodrush cardigan: pattern is woodrush cardigan by Allison Green (paid pattern). Knit in Zeeman Royal in grey. Knit on 4.5 mm (US 7) needles.
- Cast on 1 secret sock design.
- Do some crochet.
- Finish Jumping stones test.
- Continue Serpentine test.
Like most people do at the beginning of January I have come up with some goals to start the year with. I already blogged about my biggest goal for the year: improving my health. Unfortunately I haven’t started off too grand and have been feeling rather blah this first week. I had several migraine attacks, accidentally ate spoiled yoghurt (stupid!) and have been really really tired. I feel like all I’ve done is sleep! This also means that i’ve been too tired to really take my goal of eating better seriously and have quickly stumbled back into my old rhythm. Even though I bought plenty of healthy food, i’ve been too tired to cook so have jumped to easy quick meals (a microwave meal that I needed to finish, soup, a ready made salad, etc). It also shows in other aspects of my life, my apartment could use a vacuum and the bathroom needs a bit of cleaning. But i think i’ll start by washing the dishes as i’m out of forks and plates and it’s stacking up. Stupidly I always hate doing the dishes and put it off, when it’s 15 minutes of work and when my kitchen is clean I feel much better. So i’m giving myself a kick in the pants as I’m sitting here typing: tomorrow I do the dishes (and something fun! read on to learn what), Saturday i’m signing up at the gym and going for a run (I found an app that sounds perfect and very motivating, if i like it i’ll post about it!) and Sunday is cleaning day.
But my life is not going to be all about my health this year. I want to do more fun things (an some necessary things that will be fun once i’m done with them, like finishing up the last few courses of my Business Economics study and getting my bachelors!). If you’ve been following this blog you’ll know that I knit and crochet. I also got my first spinning wheel and have started spinning! I also design my own patterns and sell them on Ravelry. I have some goals I would like to achieve this year and those are what I’m going to be sharing with you this year.
- Try brioche
- Knit at least 20 pairs of socks (in 2015 I managed 18 and I can definitely manage more!
- Knit/Crochet from stash. I have too much stash for my storage and need to downsize a little.
- Yarn no-buy: This is related to the previous goal. Until I size my stash down a bit I can’t buy more yarn. Depending on how much I use up in 6 months I might lengthen this to a year. I did add a few caveats to this: If it’s special and limited edition (meaning I can’t get it after. But this can’t be more than 5 skeins for the whole year of 2 for 6 months. This doesn’t include fiber, I hardly have fiber and seeing how much i’ve spun in the first 3 days since I first sat down at my wheel I’m going to work through what I have fast!
- Do more crochet! Last year I was mainly focussed on knitting and I feel like i’m forgetting how to crochet. I want to do some more crochet and rediscover my love for it.
- Finish a wip: my floral fantasy blanket.
- Spin and knit a pair of handspun socks.
- I want to publish at least 1 design a month, so 12 throughout the year. More is even better!
- Finish updating all my patterns to the new and improved format.
- Get a logo made.
- Design a sock collection of 7 patterns.
- Design a cowl.
- Submit at least 1 design to a 3rd party.
- Upload patterns properly to Loveknitting and look into other platforms.
I also have some goals related to the ones I have mentioned so far or that don’t really fall into these 2 categories.
- Blog regularly! I like blogging, so I should just do it. I’m not going to stress about writing perfectly. This is a personal blog, expect personal writings, knitting and all things that interest me. I’m aiming for a minimum of 1 post per week, but would prefer to do more. But let’s just see if I can manage that before I set the bar to high and ignore the blog for another year.
- Start a podcast!!! I love watching podcasts and for a few months now I’ve been thinking about starting my own. It just looks so fun! I’m actually recording my first episode tomorrow!
- Update blog and work on a nice lay out.
This is all I can think of right now! Still quite the list haha!