Today I’m here to share a still pretty recent FO with you. bear with me for a while whilst I share some projects i finished during my blogging hiatus. I’m too proud of them not to share haha!
Today’s project was both well loved and hated. I started out loving it. It was my most complicated sock to date and used some techniques i was unfamiliar with. All fun and games, until… i made a pretty big mistake. Oops. I’m not very good at explaining, but I’ll try. In buy sock there is no knit stitch between the side of the sock and the cable tail going across the foot and there are 2 twisted knit stitches on the side of the tail cable where it meets the purl section. It was supposed to be 1 (twisted) knit stitch on either side. It’s not noticeable unless you know about it (like me, and now you) and it doesn’t make the sock look bad, but it really really bothered me. So much that, after finishing the first sock in a state of anxiety and disappointment after finding out the mistake, i let that sock sit, lonely and without a mate for weeks. I didn’t want to purposely knit a sock with a mistake in it. The first time was an accident and so somewhat acceptable, but doing it on purpose… And frogging was not an option. That would to me not having any Smaug socks EVER. At this stage I wasn’t very pleased with these socks, but when i showed my sister the finished loner sock after watching the hobbit part 1, she loved them! So I said they were hers. Yay! It’s fun to give knits and have them be appreciated (my family would have to be blind to not notice how much time and effort i spend on all of my knits). But there was a small detail: It would mean knitting the second sock (with the mistake, because no frogging!) and it would mean doing so on a deadline. Because if I didn’t get them to my lil sis before she left for South-Korea she wouldn’t have them for another 6 months! By the way: South-Korea is super cold in winter, who knew? So hopefully these wool socks keep her toes a bit warmer! I eventually finished and now i get bragging rights, because these were such a chore. Yay me! (I’m in a very celebratory mood today. After an insane week with stress levels I hadn’t even ever imagined possible, I (probably ) failed one test causing even more stress and fear, i (think i ) aced my second test this morning. And my bike repairs were a lot less expensive than imagined. Pfieuw! That’s less to worry about!)
No fancy pants pictures as we were in a hurry and then forgot and now they’re in Korea. I love the colourway i picked for this pattern. I promise it shows of the pattern better than this picture would say. I always thought Smaug was red, but it turns out he’s brownish with some red highlights. Like this yarn! Haha!
Pattern: Smaug socks by Claire Ellen Although my experience wasn’t perfect, this pattern is well written and has clear instructions. It was my own fault for not paying attention. I switched up the charts for the tail cable and did the right one on the left sock and vice versa. (By the way: Shoutout to the lovely people of the Sock Knitters Anonymous group on Ravelry for helping me figure that out! This was my first SKA challenge and i felt so very welcome!)
Time: Far far far too long. I cast on on the 3rd of November and finished on the 4th of January.
Yarn: Tiger Garn Strømpegarn/sockyarn. This is a cheap sock yarn (2 euros a ball I believe) that is for sale In Flying Tiger Stores. It doesn’t have a number to identify the colours, but they have a range of about 5-6 colours, so they aren’t really necessary. Unfortunately there are not lot numbers either and this is a bit of a hassle. There were noticeable colour differences in my 2 balls (that sounds so wrong!), so be careful and examine the yarn if you need more than one ball. The yarn doesn’t feel very stretchy (unlike the single ply yarns I’m more used to), but I’ve been assured this is normal for such yarns. The yarn knits up not super soft, but certainly not scratchy. They soften with a good washing.
Above picture was taken after I stayed up late to finish these things and watch Chicago (i love the songs in that movie!). They took longer than expected so I ended up watching a strange show about weird habits.
ps. I’ve decided to make my pattern Imperial Star on Ravelry permanently FREEEEEEE!
pps. I had my Anouk Headband tested and the French Doily is currently undergoing testing. I’ve decided I want to up the quality of my patterns so will look into ways to improve all of them.